Vision Europe Summit 2015
The theme of the Summit's first edition is “The Future of the Welfare State”.
The Vision Europe Summit brings together partners which are highly respected voices in their national contexts and beyond, and command a strong analytical base while maintaining an international outlook. The partners work on a pool of common socio-economic issues. These synergies are now joined in order to infuse national as well as European policy debates.
This year’s summit will focus on the economic, social and governance aspects of the welfare state systems in Europe. At this occasion the policy briefs and the survey will be debated and presented to high-level politicians and experts.
You can find more details here.
9:00 a.m.: Introduction. Aart De Geus, Chairman and CEO, Bertelsmann Stiftung
9:15 a.m.: Setting the scence – financial, economic and societal challenges for welfare states in Europe. Robin Niblett, Director, Chatham House
9:45 a.m.: Discussion of survey results: Welfare state reforms – mapping citizens’ opinion. Chair: Piero Gastaldo, Secretary General, Compagnia di San Paolo
- Ritva Koukku-Ronde (tbc), Finlands’s ambassador to Germany
- Rainer Münz, Social Affairs Advisor, European Political Strategy Centre,
- Maria João Rodrigues, Member of the European Parliament
10:30 a.m.: Short statements by authors on main recommendations of policy briefs
- Frank Vandenbroucke, Advisor for Social Affairs, Jacques Delors Institute
- Guntram Wolff, Director, Bruegel
- Eeva Hellström, Senior Lead Strategy, Finnish Innovation Fund Sitra
10:45 a.m. Break
Round Tables under the Chatham House Rule
2:00 p.m.: Panel discussion: The political economy of welfare state reforms – ways towards the implementation of round table suggestions. Chair: Eric Thode, Director, Bertelsmann Stiftung
- Thomas Fatome, Director, Sécurité Sociale France
- Maria Jepsen, Director of Research Department, European Trade Union Institute
- Mari Kiviniemi, Deputy Secretary-General, OECD
- Nicolas Schmit, Minister for Labour, Employment, Social Economy and Economic Solidarity, Luxembourg
3:30 p.m.: Coffee Break
4:00 p.m.: Presentation of the summit declaration. Aart De Geus, Chairman and CEO, Bertelsmann Stiftung
4:15 p.m.: Responses to the summit declaration: The EU’s and member states’ role in the provision of sustainable well-being.
- Fabrizio Barca, Director General, Italian Ministry of Economy and Finance (tbc)
- Stefaan Hermans, Head of Cabinet, Cabinet of Commissioner Marianne Thyssen, European Commission
- Agnes Jongerius, Member of the European Parliament
5:00 p.m.: Closing remarks. Artur Santos Silva, President, Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation
5:15 p.m.: End of livestream
Location & Contact
[email protected] +32 2 227 4212