Collaborative innovation in the entrepreneurial ecosystem
European policymakers are currently appraising different plans to create jobs and foster economic growth. Entrepreneurship through the creation of innovative young firms is a priority.
Entrepreneurial ecosystems that offer models of collaborative innovation can facilitate the establishment and growth of these innovators. Yet many challenges remain.
Bruegel was pleased to be host a lunchtime workshop about collaborative innovation. This event highlighted some of the models and challenges for collaboration between large and small firms.
Collaborative innovation can promote long-term growth and enhance competitiveness, especially when dynamic young firms work with established companies to commercialise new ideas. Such collaborations are critical in helping young, entrepreneurial firms to thrive and expand, while enabling established firms to address innovation challenges.
However, companies participating in such partnerships must overcome a number of challenges:
- How can businesses find and select the right partner in their networks?
- What are the most effective capital and governance structures?
- Which mechanisms are best to share and benefit from intellectual property?
- How can leaders build a positive business case and ensure their teams are organisationally and culturally ready to engage?
- The presentation given by Nicholas Davis _
- The presentation given by Valerie Mocker _
- The presentation given by Gary Stewart _
- The Bruegel event notes _
- Nicholas Davis, senior director, Center for the Global Agenda, World Economic Forum
- Kamil Kiljański, Chief Economist, European Commission, DG GROW
- Valerie Mocker, principal researcher for startups and entrepreneurship, NESTA
- Gary Stewart, director, Wayra UK (a Telefonica initiative)
- Chair: Karen Wilson, senior fellow, Bruegel
- Summary of a Bruegel Workshop on Building Entrepreneurial Ecosystems in Europe from December 2, 2014 –
- Comprehensive Guide for Successful Corporate-Entrepreneurial Collaborations
- Venue: Bruegel, Rue de la Charité 33, 1210 Brussels
- Date: Tuesday 30 June 2015
- Time: 12:00 – 14:30 (Lunch: 12:00 – 12:30)
- Contact: Matilda Sevón, Events Coordinator