Abenomics – stock-taking and lessons for the EU
Europe in the Global Economy
Japan’s economy has experienced long-term stagnation for over 20 years. Since Autumn 2012, drastic economic policies known as ‘Abenomics’ have been enforced to break this pattern. Meanwhile inflation in the EU is an alarming indicator of a possible deflationary phase that could cripple economic activity. These phenomena are similar to those experienced in Japan in the 1990s. This conference offers the possibility to deepen our economic understanding of two major economies facing similar problems and opportunities.
This event will be live streamed.
- 8:30 – Breakfast and registration
- 8:55 – 9:00 Welcome by Guntram Wolff and Yoshii Masahiko
- 9:00 – 10:30 First Panel: The effectiveness of macroeconomic policy: evaluation of the first and second arrow and implications for Europe
- Kazumasa Iwata, President, Japan Center for Economic Research (JCER)
- Paul Sheard, Chief Global Economist and Head of Global Economics and Research for Standard & Poor’s
- Discussant: Toshiki Jinushi, Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University
- 10:30 – 10:45 Coffee Break
- 10:45 – 12:15 Second Panel: Design and implementation of the growth strategy: What can Europe learn from the third arrow?
- Kiyoto Ido, Vice Chairman, Institute for International Economic Studies ( IIES)
- Anne Bucher, Director in Charge of Structural Reforms and Competitiveness at DG ECFIN, European Commission
- Discussant: Gregory Claeys, Senior Fellow, Bruegel
- 12:15 – 13:15 Lunch
- 13:15 – 14:45 Third Panel, New trade linkage between Europe and Japan: trade policy under Abenomics
- Fukunari Kimura, Chief Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
- André Sapir, Senior Fellow, Bruegel
- Kazuhito Yamashita, Research Director at the Canon Institute for Global Studies
- Discussant: Yoshii Masahiko, Professor, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University
- 14-45 – 15:00 Coffee Break
- 15:00 – 16:30 Fourth Panel: Policy panel: What policy lessons to draw?
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero, Chief Economist for Emerging Markets, BBVA
- Chris Scicluna, Head of Economic Research, Daiwa
- Chair: Guntram Wolff, Director of Bruegel
Presentation by Kazumasa Iwata –
Presentation by Kiyoto Ido –
Presentation by Anne Bucher –
Presentation by Fukunari Kimura –
Presentation by Kazuhito Yamashita –
Presentation by Chris Scicluna –
Handout by Paul Sheard –
This event was jointly organised with the Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
We recognise the support of the Toshiba International Foundation for the organisation of this event.