At this event Marcel Fratzscher and Maurizio Habib from the ECB presented the 2012 Report on the “The international role of the Euro”, which examins developments in the use of the euro by non-euro area residents during the year 2011.
The report finds that the international role of the euro remained relatively resilient during 2011. It contains four special feature articles. The first is on the response of foreign investors to the euro area sovereign debt crisis. The second discusses the increasingly tripolar nature of the international monetary system, while the third analyses the advantages of incumbency in the use of international currencies. The fourth shows the role unofficial dollarisation/euroisation in emerging economies has had in the global crisis and how it can contribute to the build-up of financial stability risks.
Please note that the presentations were held under the Chatham House Rule.
- Marcel Fratzscher, Head of the International Policy Analysis Division of the ECB
- Maurizio Habib, Senior Economist, ECB
- Discussant: Zsolt Darvas, Research Fellow at Bruegel
- Chair: Guntram Wolff, Deputy Director of Bruegel
- Venue: Bruegel, Rue de la Charité 33, 1210 Bruxelles
- Time: 3 September 2012, 12:45 - 14:30
- Contact: [email protected]