deadline for applications 23 July
Call for Director
Deadline for Application
23 July 2021
Expected starting date
by July 2022
Bruegel is a European think tank, which is regularly ranked among the top global think tanks. Bruegel is recruiting a new Director to succeed Guntram Wolff the current director, whose statutory term comes to an end in June 2022.
We are looking for a globally recognised leader to inspire the institution and drive it forward. Strong research, policy and management experience are necessary qualifications for the successful candidate. The Director, with the assistance of the deputy director, prepares the strategic direction of Bruegel, sets research and editorial priorities and oversees all publications as well as events. He or she is in charge of the overall management of the organisation. After continuous growth and increased impact and recognition, he or she should further build on Bruegel’s position.
With a team of almost 40 individually recognised scholars and an overall headcount of 65 (many part-time), the incoming Director is expected to be a team player who can lead a team of highly visible and impactful scholars in a collegial way. Bruegel has set itself high standards of transparency and research integrity. Personal and professional integrity as well as highest standards in research and communication are among the assets the Director will bring.
The Director is in charge of the management of the Association and represents it vis-a-vis third parties. He or she is accountable to the Board for the overall management of the organisation and directs a management team in charge of all operational aspects of Bruegel.
Bruegel’s research covers the European economy and governance, capital markets and banking, international economics and trade policy, climate and energy policy, innovation and competition policy as well as inequality and the future of work. Analytical experience with some of these fields is required for the successful candidate.
Type of contract
The Director is appointed for three years by the Board. The appointment needs to be confirmed by the groups of state and corporate members. He or she may be re-appointed twice for a maximum tenure of 9 years.
PROFILE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
The ideal Director should be a person with a particular set of skills to cover successfully all the responsibilities of the position. These skills should include:
- A strong research record and strong analytical experience as documented with relevant publications.
- Capability and willingness to undertake applied economic research,
- First-hand experience of policy discussions at the highest level,
- Excellent communication skills to address all types of policy forums and willingness to engage in media appearances on a regular basis,
- Provide thought leadership on critical policy developments in a fast-paced environment,
- Management skills to manage a growing international team of part-time and full-time professionals.
- Strong leadership to engage internal Bruegel professionals in research projects, as well as to attract outside researchers to participate in policy debates and contribute to research; excellent connections with leading academics and experience in running internationally funded research projects,
- Ability and readiness to engage in dialogue with Bruegel members and contribute to Bruegel development and fund-raising.
- Understanding of global and European institutions and their impact on economic policies.
- Professional English, a further European language would be an asset.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter in English to [email protected], describing why you are interested in joining Bruegel, as well as why you are suited for the role.
The selection committee, chaired by Josè Manuel Gonzàlez-Pàramo, will screen the applications after the deadline and invite shortlisted candidates for an interview.
Bruegel is committed to ensuring equal opportunities and treatment for all, by ensuring that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.
Bruegel is a European think tank working in the field of international economics. Established in 2005, Bruegel is independent and non-doctrinal. Its mission is to improve the quality of economic policy with open and fact-based research, analysis and debate. We are committed to impartiality, openness and excellence. Bruegel’s membership includes EU Member State governments, international corporations and institutions.