Call for applications: Affiliate fellow
For its project “Dealing with resurging China” led by our Senior Fellow, Alicia Garcia Herrero, Bruegel is looking for a full-time Affiliate Fellow with strong data management and data analytical skills. The Affiliate Fellow will undertake research on the Chinese economy with special attention to understanding its functioning, evolving growth engines and its state-driven economic model backed up by creation of one-stop reliable data repository and indicators platform on China’s economy.
Bruegel offers a stimulating research and policy environment. The Affiliate Fellow is expected to contribute to the intellectual community at Bruegel. (S)he will collaborate with other Fellows, Senior Fellows as well as communication and development teams under the overall guidance of the Director and Deputy Director of Bruegel. Beyond the research, (s)he will regularly report on research findings, support the developments of events and interact with various outside and inside stakeholders.
The Affiliate Fellow will also be required to travel and engage with relevant stakeholders on a national EU and global level.
Bruegel is the European think tank specialising in economics. Established in 2005, it is independent and non-doctrinal. Bruegel’s mission is to improve the quality of economic policy with open and fact-based research, analysis and debate. We are committed to impartiality, openness and excellence. Bruegel’s membership includes EU Member State governments, international corporations and institutions. Through publications, events, social media, and a lively blog, Bruegel has carved a unique discussion space for everyone interested in improving the quality of economic policy. Through a dual focus on analysis and impact, and dynamic relationships with policymakers at every governance level, it has established itself as a vibrant laboratory for economic policies.
DEALING WITH A RESURGING CHINA – PROJECT BACKGRIUND
Bruegel, together with its partners namely MERICS and the Copenhagen Business School, will carry out an ambitious, three-year-long research project: Dealing with a Resurgent China (DWARC). The project is financed by the European Commission under the Horizon Europe programme. It aims to respond to the European needs to develop a long-term approach to engage strategically with the resurgent and the increasingly assertive China and the global changes unleashed thereby.
Through research and data analysis, DWARC aims mainly (but not limited) to:
- Upgrade substantially Europe’s independent knowledge on Contemporary China’s society, culture, politics, economy, foreign policy, and its compliance with international obligations/laws/norms in these key areas.
- Contribute research-driven and fact-based recommendations to the European Union and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the building of a lasting network of China expertise in Europe.
- PHD in Economics or a master’s degree in Economics with at least 3 years’ experience in Economic research and with publications track record.
- Outstanding data management and data analytical skills.
- Excellent spoken and written knowledge of English and Chinese is essential
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and verbally.
- Ability to contribute to diverse types of publications including Bruegel’s blog series, podcasts and online events
- Dedication to high quality and accurate work.
- Strong organisational and planning skills; Capable of delivering accurate and high-quality work within short deadlines.
- Willing to contribute to events’ organisations.
- High analytical skills and attention to details.
- Ready to travel to participate in international events and engage with EU institutions and European country authorities
- Ideally, the candidate should be based in Brussels
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter describing why you are interested in joining the think-tank world, and Bruegel, as well as what makes you suited for the role.
The application should be submitted to [email protected] under the subject line: Affiliate Fellow_ DWARC_applicant’s name by the 20th of May 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Bruegel is committed to ensure equal opportunities and treatment for all, by ensuring that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.