Call for an Affiliate fellow: Economist with expertise in the Digital Area
deadline for application
29 August, 2021
Bruegel is strengthening its digital and competition team and is looking for a full-time Affiliate Fellow with a PhD in economics or similar research experience focussing on the Digital Economy, Technological Markets and/or Competition Policy.
The rise of new technologies and business models have profoundly changed our economy and substantial disruption continues. Technologies such as the Internet, big data analytics, blockchain, artificial intelligence are a new form of infrastructure underlying almost all activity society’s members engage with. Online platforms are changing markets’ structures. On the whole, the EU lacks behind on firms in this space but has significant regulatory powers.
The Affiliate Fellow will use sound economic analysis (theoretical and/or empirical modelling) to undertake research and propose policy options in areas such as:
- Data markets and data governance
- The role of technology in the EU geopolitical strategy
- The economics of multi-sided markets
- Content moderation in online markets and online platforms’ liability
- The relationship between ex-ante regulation and ex-post competition policy enforcement in online platform markets
- Taxation of digital services
- The economics of cybersecurity
- Artificial intelligence: development, adoption and regulation
- Supranational, national, regional and local government of technological markets
- Technology and the public sector
- E-commerce and cross-border digital trade
Bruegel offers a stimulating research and policy environment. The Affiliate Fellow is expected to contribute to the intellectual community at Bruegel and prepare research and policy papers. (S)he will collaborate with other Fellows, Senior Fellows as well as communication and development teams under the overall guidance of the Director and Deputy Director of Bruegel. Beyond the research, (s)he will regularly report on research findings, support the developments of events and interact with various outside and inside stakeholders. (S)he will be willing to develop outreach skills to interact with media.
The Affiliate Fellow will also be required to travel and engage with relevant stakeholders on a national and EU level.
Bruegel is the European think tank specialising in economics. Established in 2005, it is independent and non-doctrinal. Bruegel’s mission is to improve the quality of economic policy with open and fact-based research, analysis and debate. We are committed to impartiality, openness and excellence. Bruegel’s membership includes EU Member State governments, international corporations and institutions. Through publications, events, social media, and a lively blog, Bruegel has carved a unique discussion space for everyone interested in improving the quality of economic policy. Through a dual focus on analysis and impact, and dynamic relationships with policymakers at every governance level, it has established itself as a vibrant laboratory for economic policies.
affiliate fellow – digital area
- Economist with a strong knowledge in microeconomics (ideally PhD level; candidates who are planning to discuss their PhD thesis in the coming months are encouraged to apply)
- Ability to analyse policy-relevant issues in some of the following areas: digital and technological markets, online platform, data, artificial intelligence markets, competition policy, regulation
- Data, programming and empirical skills; knowledge of data manipulation languages (e.g. SQL, Apache Pig, Python) is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of the EU;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Ability to contribute to all our types of publications including Bruegel’s blog series, podcasts and online events;
- Dedication to high quality and accurate work;
- Strong organisational and planning skills;
- Outstanding writing and communications skills;
- Knowledge of English language at a professional level. Knowledge of another European language is a plus;
- Capable of delivering accurate and high-quality work within short deadlines;
- Willing to contribute to events’ organisations;
- High analytical skills and attention to details;
- Ready to travel in order to participate in international events and engage with EU institutions and European country authorities
how to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter describing why you are interested in joining the think-tank world, and Bruegel, as well as what makes you suited for the role.
The application should be submitted to [email protected] under the subject line: Affiliate_Fellow_Digital_applicant’s name, before August 29, 2021.
Bruegel is committed to ensure equal opportunities and treatment for all, by ensuring that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.