Call for an Accountant
Call for applications: Accountant
Type of contract: full-time, open-ended contract
Deadline for application: Monday 31 May 2021- Midnight CET (applications will be treated on a rolling basis)
Starting Date: Ideally May/June
Bruegel is a European think tank working in the field of economics. Established in 2005, Bruegel is independent and non-doctrinal. Its mission is to improve economic policy with open, honest and fact-based research, analysis and debate. We are committed to impartiality, openness and excellence. Bruegel’s membership includes EU Member State governments, international corporations and institutions.
Bruegel is currently digitalizing its operations and more specifically finance and administration processes; from a stand-alone finance program (BOB 50) to a cloud-based ERP solution for accounting and finance (odoo.com). In this context, Bruegel is looking for an autonomous and professional Accountant with experience in Belgian accounting standards (BEGAAP), Budget Management, European projects financial management and reporting.
- Handle and record outgoing and incoming invoices under correct accounting codes, both general ledger & analytical codes;
- Preparation of payments to suppliers and/or expenses claims, in Isabel 6, for management approval and signature;
- Allocate expenses among projects and activities;
- Monthly credit cards accounting reconciliation;
- Quarterly reconciliation of general ledger and subledgers;
- Prepare quarterly special VAT tax return (629);
- Cash-flow monitoring and bank relations assistance;
- Liaise with authorities and service providers;
- Assisting the preparation and submission of other governmental declarations;
- Master and reconcile analytical budget versus general ledger accounts;
- Prepare monthly/quarterly budget reports and assist monitoring the annual budget;
- Monthly monitoring of strategic costs (staff costs budget, contractors’ budgets, etc.);
- Support EU-funded and other donors projects financial reports;
- Maintain EU projects’ financial monitoring sheets;
- Support planning and forecasts of the annual budget;
End-Year Closing, mid-term closing, and fiscal duties preparation:
- Collect and reconcile all sources of incomes information i.e. yearly membership and grants;
- Preparation of ‘mid-term’ and ‘yearly audit’ files for statutory auditors’ review;
- Preparation of ‘BNB’ annual accounts reporting package;
- Prepare NGO tax return and the fiscal package for Belgian authorities;
- Prepare ‘fiscal fiches’ 281.50;
- Prepare ‘A(I)SBL’ tax and municipality corporate annual tax;
COMPETENCIES, SKILL AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Candidates for this role must have a proven experience within a similar role, with following qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in accounting or business administration required
- 3 to 5 years of proven full-time professional experience in BEGAAP accounting (‘from A to Z’);
- Experience with public funding i.e. European institutions financial regulation and private
funding donors’ requirements;
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural non-profit;
- Solid ICT skills, especially in Microsoft Excel and a fluent understanding of Odoo
accounting/finance as the main accounting system is an asset;
- Quick and modern learner;
- Pro-active and solution-oriented approach;
- Good analytical skills, with an eye for details;
- Excellent organization and planning skills: abilities to anticipate is required;
- Ability to keep full confidentiality about all assigned tasks and related documentation as well as capacity to exercise confidentiality, discretion and tact when dealing with diverse groups of people;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Good oral and written communication skills in English;
- French and/or Dutch language working knowledge would be an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player;
- Ability to develop strong working relationships internally and externally at all levels;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
We offer you an exciting job in an international working environment where you will have the chance to develop and strengthen the organization.
To submit your application for this vacancy, please send your CV and your cover letter in English to [email protected] with the subject: “Application: Accountant”.
Deadline for applications is Monday 31st of May 2021.
The candidate should ideally be able to start as soon as possible / late spring 2021
Due to the high number of applications usually received for Bruegel vacancies, only candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Please consult www.bruegel.org for more information on our activities.
Bruegel aims to ensure that no application or employee receives less favorable treatment on the grounds of race, color, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.