Recent German energy policy has resulted in a major shift in its electricity system. Germany will phase-out its nuclear power plants in the next decade, and increase the share of renewables markedly in its generation mix. To enable this shift, a number of steps are being implemented/discussed (including renewables support schemes, major network extensions, and capacity mechanisms). As such, Germany is a test case for the feasibility of, and the challenges associated with, systems featuring a large share of intermittent renewables. This discussion on the German electricity market developments was part of a Bruegel event series entitled: “Energy and Climate Exchange series 2012: member states energy market developments.” This is a series in which panelists from a member state present on the burning issues being discussed in their country, and how national energy policies will impact the single energy market.
This event covered the energy market developments in Germany. Karsten Neuhoff, Head of Department for Climate Policy at the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), and one of the foremost experts in the field of energy and climate policy, spoke on the recent developments in Germany. Annegret Groebel, Head of Department International Relations at the German regulatory authority (Bundesnetzagentur) offered insight into a regulator's perspective. Håkan Feuk, Vice President Political and Regulatory Affairs at E.ON AG, a 25-year veteran with extensive knowledge of regulatory frameworks and market design, provided a view from the industry.
- Karsten Neuhoff, Head of Department for Climate Policy at DIW Berlin
- Annegret Groebel, Head of Department International Relations at Bundesnetzagentur
- Håkan Feuk, Vice President Political and regulatory affairs at E.ON AG
- Chair - Georg Zachmann, Research Fellow Bruegel
- The regulation of German energy markets and its European dimension The regulation of German energy markets and its European dimension by Dr. Annegret Groebel Head of Department International Relations
- Energy market developments in Germany Energy market developments in Germany by Håkan Feuk
- Energy market developments in Germany Energy market developments in Germany by Karsten Neuhoff
- Venue: Bruegel, Rue de la Charité 33, 1210 Bruxelles
- Time: 28 June 2012, 12:45 - 14:30
- Contact: email@example.com